Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I have regiment details where do I visit next - GRO?

delandre-grogan

The info I have (but no actual proof) is:

Name F Grogan.

Rank Private.

Enlisted in Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's) 8th Bn.

Killed in Action 25/05/1917

Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery Grave N1

Service number 21236

The above info is on the www.cwgc.org web site.

I need more info on the above person to decide if he is my relation.

Is my next move to physically visit the GRO in London to get to his service records or are there any online options?

Patrick

Patrick,

Here he is on SDGW:

Regiment, Corps etc.: Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers)

Battalion etc.: 7/8th Battalion.

Last name: Grogan

First name(s): Francis

Initials: F

Birthplace: Belfast

Enlisted: Belfast

Residence:

Number: 21236

Date died: 25 May 1917

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 1567, LEINSTER REGT

Hth

Grant

Patrick,

You may find your man's record at the National Archives. It is pot luck because the majority were destroyed by German bombs in WWII. They are known as the Burnt Records.

Alternatively you can wait because they will be coming online eventually. (A proportion of A-C are there already on Ancestry.co.uk)

On CWGC he is the only F Grogan to belong to an Irish Regt. Do you have any family history? Can you rule out Francis and Felix? Sometimes I think that you can find your man by eliminating the alternatives.

PM me and at the weekend I'll send you copies of the kind of documents available at the NA.

Regards,

John

Thank you

The story is, my GGF was Francis St. Patrick Vernon de Landre-Grogan b. 1855 in Bansha Co. Tip..

He was court-marshal in 1908 with a dishonourable discharge.

Nothing was heard of him after that. Family rumour has it that he was killed in WW1.

I guess if he did re-join he would have had good reason to be just "Grogan" not "de Landre-Grogan" to keep a low profile because of his discharge, also he was not born in belfast but in Bansha, also with the added info "FORMERLY 1567, LEINSTER REGT" it does sound like the wrong Francis Grogan. Also in 1917 my Francis would have been 62, did men of 62 fight in WW1?

I think I need to forget this Francis.

Thank you for your help.

Patrick de Landre-Grogan

Patrick,

I think you mean visit the PRO (or National Archives), I don't think you can visit the GRO as such.

Although very rare, he could have served at the age of 62 during TGW. But I would be sceptical of family stories, I think nearly all (if not all) I have disproved whilst researching my family.

What about his wife, your Gt Gran (if I am interpreting that correctly), her death certificate may give you some extra info (ie. widow of Francis...... or wife of Francis..........).

Steve

Steve

I agree about family stories, I have seen some half true and some false ones.

Regarding Francis's wife (Bertha) they parted company (date not known) and 1901 she claimed to be a widow, but I know she was not telling the truth because Francis was court marshaled in 1908 so he was alive then.

Seems Francis was a bit of a lad from what I can gather.

Thanks

Patrick