Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hut 103 Bisley Camp Surrey

Harry Flashman V.C.

I remember a while ago someone was after plans for WWI huts I'm doing a course at Bisley and I've took some photos of hut 103 which was built in 1913 (according to the info outside the hut) 99 years old and sadly it is due for demolition, if only the walls could talk.

I will upload them to the site when I get home.

Looking forward to seeing them. My family on my G-Grandfather's side lived right next to Bisley camp at that time.

I wonder if they have been in touch with the Curator at Stow Maries aerodrome, which must be one of very few places that might be able to give a home to so large a hut.

Don't know whats going to happen supposedly there is/was going to be a hotel built on the site its had those signs on since last november when I first went down to Bisley.

Thanks for these...and the information.

• 2 months later...

Hut 103 is now fenced off with signs saying "KEEP OUT - property of NSRA". It is shortly due for demolition.

Personally I think it should have been given listed building status as part of our military heritage.

Advanceddiver - Bisley was the home of part of the School of Musketry during WWI and trained instructors and machine gunners. Soldiers from all and every regiment probably passed through Bisley at some time of another.

Regards

TonyE

• 8 months later...
Guest adamedward54

Hi all, I was over yesterday at William Evans shop.The hut is still there, I took a couple of phots for posterity.

Thanks for previous info chaps, regards Adam

passed this hut a number of times but never ventured to find out anything about it. Will be at Bisley next week and will make a point of taking a closer look before it disappears.

For anyone with a passing interest in Bisley, the next Open Day is Sept 7th. There are a number of old (as well as modern) rifles available to try out and the Lee Enfield Rifle Association tent is worth a visit.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest RascallyBear

Hut 103 and associated buildings are the old cookhouse and other ranks mess. I well recall the dreadful experience of eating there, as an Air Cadet, competing in the NRA cadets and schools meeting, in 1976. The food was truly dreadful ?. Thankfully, however, the Gurkha Regiment were detailed as target markers, and these fine soldiers, who were camping in the next tent to ours, were kind enough to share their wonderful camp fire curries with us. Until recently, it was home to "The Trench Experience".