Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miss Alicia (Lily) Hamilton

W.J.Caughey

Hi, i am hoping to get more information on this V.A.D. Nurse who died of pneumonia at Catterick Military Hospital 1918, i was

wondering if V.A.D. were entitled to Medals and have been searching Ancestry etc, for a number of weeks but have drawn a blank.

I would be most grateful for any information at all on this young lady.

Kind regards W.J.

Hi WJ

You could try getting in touch with Jim Strawbridge who is compiling a book on women that died whilest serving during the Great War.

Regards

IanC

Hi Ian, (sorry, I mean WJ)

If anyone knows I expect it will be Sue Light our forum Pal.

If you search for her, drop her a PM.

Maybe someone else will know about Alicia and answer your query in any case, but I am sure Sue will know something.

Susan

Thanks Susan, Ian, will get intouch with both members. Thanks Terry for searching thought it was just me, had a quick look at the Red Cross site and looks

promising for information. So thanks for quick responce. Walter

W.J.

My copy is not all that clear so yours may be worse so I transcribed the text =

MILITARY FUNERAL FOR V.A.D.

Full military honours were accorded to the funeral of Miss Lily Hamilton. V.A.D., which took place a few days ago to Canrmoney Cemetery. Deceased, who joined up a year ago, was employed at Catterick Camp Hospital (Yorks) and died from double pneumonia. The remains were conveyed to Belfast via Larne and Stranraer. The coffin which was mounted on a gun-carriage, was draped with the Union Jack. Many beautiful floral tributes were placed on the grave including wreaths from deceased’s comrades, and the officers of the camp. The burial service was conducted by the Rev. S.J. Greer. B.A. and Rev. H.J. Clarke, Carnmoney. At the graveside the “Last Post” was sounded and three volleys fired over the grave. A brother of the deceased is at present serving with the R.A.M.C. and another sister, who served in France for a time, is nurse under the tuberculosis department of the Belfast Corporation. The firm of Adam Turner, Clifton Street, had charge of the funeral arrangements.

I haven't got much more than is in the obituary. My photographer tried to find the grave but it seems that it is unmarked. Three from the Smyth family are in the same grave. BMD shows her as aged 23 whilst another source states that she was aged 26. VADs were issued medals but only if they saw service overseas.

Hi Tonym, Sorry just seen the reply. Many thanks for this photo and transcribe, very much appreciated. Funny enough called into Carnmoney Cem on way home this morning and got help

to locate grave, Sadly no Headstone.

Kind regards Walter.

Walter

Pleased to be of assistance.

Did you obtain a definite location of her grave and the obvious next question did you get a photograph? If you did would greatly appreciate a copy and I am sure Jim Strawbridge would appreciate one also, will PM my email add if you did.

Tony

Tony, Pm me please, have a few other details, newspaper death notice etc, took photo of plot no headstone

or marker at all, council worker got the plan out to show me the plot were buried.

Kind regards Walter.

That is quite an impressive send off for her, full military honours etc, - was that the norm or is there more to be unearthed about this young lady?

W.J.

My copy is not all that clear so yours may be worse so I transcribed the text =

MILITARY FUNERAL FOR V.A.D.

Full military honours were accorded to the funeral of Miss Lily Hamilton. V.A.D., which took place a few days ago to Canrmoney Cemetery. Deceased, who joined up a year ago, was employed at Catterick Camp Hospital (Yorks) and died from double pneumonia. The remains were conveyed to Belfast via Larne and Stranraer. The coffin which was mounted on a gun-carriage, was draped with the Union Jack. Many beautiful floral tributes were placed on the grave including wreaths from deceased's comrades, and the officers of the camp. The burial service was conducted by the Rev. S.J. Greer. B.A. and Rev. H.J. Clarke, Carnmoney. At the graveside the "Last Post" was sounded and three volleys fired over the grave. A brother of the deceased is at present serving with the R.A.M.C. and another sister, who served in France for a time, is nurse under the tuberculosis department of the Belfast Corporation. The firm of Adam Turner, Clifton Street, had charge of the funeral arrangements.

hi seany, it seem to be the norm well here in and around Belfast District when family requested and was approved, have some old ex service men death notices who had full military honours, that's why i had a post before if they were given this kind of send off but not encluded on the CWGC website or other memorials, just like Lily cant find her on any memorial.

WJ

• 6 years later...

Coming very late to this topic!  I submitted details about Miss Taylor to CWGC and steps are being taken to install a CWGC memorial.

Nigel